While our artifacts make sense to us, how might they preserve and be interpreted by future archaeologists?
Directions for 4-6 page Assignment:
- Choose one room of your home or a specific place in your community (playground, parking lot, restaurant). Visit and observe the site for 10-15 minutes. Be objective as you examine the site, remember not to mention what it is in today’s terms, but pretend you have do not recognize or have knowledge of the artifacts and site. Describe the overall scene.
- Collect and document artifacts. Describe the artifacts noting color, shape, weight, texture, quantity, material, and other features you think are important.
- Map the site and describe the physical characteristics of the site.
- Using your imagination, what are some other purposes the artifacts and site might have? What conclusions can you draw about the origin of the artifacts, their use, and the purpose of the site?
- Using our readings, what type of archaeological methods would you want to use to help you interpret your artifacts and site?
- Reflect on some of the challenges archaeologists face in piecing together the past.
All written submissions should be submitted using APA formatting.