Short Paper Guidelines
IV. Creating a More Effective Organizational Culture: In this section, you will analyze the transcripts provided to determine the influence of cultural differences on the conflict.
- Analyze how the stakeholders’ cultural perspectives affected their points of view in this conflict. Support your analysis with relevant examples.
- Describe instances in which you see a match or gaps between the former employee and organizational culture. Support your description with specific examples.
- Recommend strategies that individual stakeholders can use to deal with employees who have disparate cultural perspectives. Justify your recommendation(s) with appropriate conflict resolution concepts.
Using the final project transcripts provided and the articles “Bias Has No Place at Work” and “Workplace Religious Accommodation Issues for Adherents of Islam” from the module resources, assess the cultural needs of Kareem versus the culture at ABC Corporation. Where did you identify gaps? What should ABC Corporation do to meet Kareem’s needs while still maintaining performance expectations?
Your paper should include these critical elements:
- An assessment of Kareem’s cultural needs
- An assessment ABC Corporation’s organizational culture
- A description of the gaps between Kareem’s cultural needs and the ABC Corporation organizational culture
- Recommendations of strategies for ABC Corporation to meet Kareem’s needs while still maintaining performance expectations
Guidelines for Submission: Your paper should be submitted as a 2- to 3-page Microsoft Word document with double spacing, 12-point Times New Roman font, one-inch margins, and at least three sources cited in APA format.
Library Article: Bias Has No Place at Work Many human resources departments work hard to remove intentional bias from the workplace; however, the ability to determine what a bias is can be subjective. This article details how unconscious bias impacts the workplace.
Library Article: Workplace Religious Accommodation Issues for Adherents of Islam “Diversity of religious practices has resulted in tensions in the workplace. Many of today’s workplace conflicts related to religion are a result of the growing presence of workers of the Muslim faith of Islam. This paper focuses on Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and its required regulatory compliance related to religious discrimination and accommodation.” Navigate to pages 41-50 of the Business Studies Journal Volume 3 to read the article “Workplace Religious Accommodation Issues for Adherents of Islam”. Article: How to Handle Difficult Conversations at Work “Difficult conversations—whether you’re telling a client the project is delayed or presiding over an unenthusiastic performance review—are an inevitable part of management.” This article provides expert advice on how to handle difficult confrontations at work.
Library Article: Difficult Conversations (Optional) This article is based on a series of focus groups held with managers. It looks at the issues that make conversations difficult and provides some ideas to help turn difficult conversations into productive and meaningful ones.
Article: Those “Difficult Conversations:” How Can Technology Help Managers to Learn How to Hold Them in an Effective Manner? (Optional) Managers find “holding difficult conversations with staff a challenge. . . . Are the learning messages still the same and how can technology help now in a way that was not available before?” This paper aims to address ways technology can help managers hold an effective conversation.