Two Part Assignment
Produce the Assignment submission in a single Microsoft Word or Open
Office document. Be sure to cite your sources, use APA style as
required, check your spelling.
Assignment: Part 1
1. Describe some strategies that would support the development of perceptual motor skills. Give examples.
2. Why should early childhood educators be concerned with the fundamental motor skills?
3. Why should games for young children be noncompetitive?
4. What safety risks should the teacher keep in mind when
children are climbing on a climbing frame? Give some examples of what
guidance would be necessary to help children remain safe.
5. What three components are necessary for children to learn any motor skill?
6. Identify the steps people go through in order to be helpful.
7. List the basic categories of friendship skills.
8. Identify three of the major components of social responsibility.
9. List three reasons why a group of young children may exclude a particular child.
10. Identify 3 strategies for helping children develop positive attitudes toward diversity
1. Give children opportunities to
interact with adult members of their own and other cultural
groups. Based on what you have read, discuss in detail five strategies
you would use to create a classroom climate in which children treat each
other with kindness.
2. A common criticism of American social studies education is
that children don’t know enough about history and geography. Describe an
activity that you would create to help a group of 4 year olds become
interested in one of these subjects. What would you plan for a group of
second graders? Discuss in detail what the activities would look like
and what you expect children to learn from them.
3. Identify the three steps people go through in order to be
helpful. Write a puppet script/ skit to demonstrate to children these
three steps. You may wish to include narration in your skit as well as
dialogue between the two characters (one who needs help and the one who
is the potential helper). Remember that children relate best to puppets
that resemble people rather than animals or cartoon characters.
Learning Materials: Part 2 Assignment
- ERIC online library http://eric.ed.gov/
- Video: Stages of Reading Development – Stages of Reading Development
- Article: Stages of Reading Development – Stages of Reading Development
The purpose of the assignment is to research, analyze and
evaluate current academic, research-based articles from credible,
peer-reviewed journals in this discipline.
- Use the ERIC/ProQuest link to access two current articles, one of each on the following topics:
- Central concerns of phonics instruction to teaching literacy
- Central concerns of a whole Language approach to teaching literacy
- Write a summary paper addressing the following
points/questions. Be sure to answer all questions of each bullet point.
There should be three sections, one for each part below. Separate each
section in your paper with a clear heading that allows your professor to
know which bullet you are addressing in that section of your paper.
Make sure to reference the citations using the APA writing style for
each research study, include a cover page and reference page.
- Summarize each of the articles by addressing the following for each study. Repeat this sequence for each article.
– What question/hypothesis was the researcher trying to answer or investigate?
– Explain how the study was designed
- What was the sample size?
- What were the variables?
- How did the researcher gather data in the study?
- What was the conclusion/results of the study?
- Analyze and Evaluate each study to determine credibility or usefulness. Repeat this sequence for each article.
What biases could exist in the sample selection?
- What potential ethical issues exist in this study?
- Would you use the study if you were writing a research report on the topic? Explain why or why not.
- Explain how the results affect working with children in this area.
Your essay should be 1250-1500 words and should include at
least four (4) citations. The sections should be clearly marked with
headings so that your instructor knows which points you are addressing.
Follow the guildelines for APA writing style. The title page and
references page do not count towards the minimum word amount for this