HR2010 CW1 Test 2
disadvantage of observation is that it is:
- C) affected by memory problems
- d) likely to be valid
People involved in some research tend to behave differently because they realise that they are being observed. This is ..
- Hawthorne effect
- Experimental error
- Observer bias
- Experimental bias
Quantitative research is NOT associated with what technique?
- Focus groups
- Organisational reports
- Structured interviews
What does the following describe?
Creating and developing data codes or categories representing themes revealed in the data collected and the relationships between these.
- content analysis
- quantitative data analysis
- data display analysis
- chi-squared test
Which one of these is NOT a reason for missing data?
- The researcher ignored its presence on the data form
- The respondent may have missed a question by mistake
- The respondent did not know the answer
- The data was not required from the respondent, perhaps because a skip generated by a filter question in a survey
Which one of these is NOT a way of measuring central tendency?
- Regression analysis
- measuring the value that occurs most frequently
- measuring the value, often known as average/mean, that includes all data values in its calculation
- all these answers
If we want an average distance to the mean, we need to calculate
What is a ‘probing question’?
- One that encourages the interviewee to say more about a topic
- One that asks indirectly about people’s personal lives
- One that asks about a deeply personal issue
- One that asks about primary and secondary sources
What is content analysis
- A qualitative research tool used to objectively and systematically measure the content of texts
- A quantitative research tool used to gather information about the contents of hidden texts
- A qualitative research tool used to gather more information after an interview
- all the answers
Which ONE of the following statement is TRUE?
- When you analyse qualitative data, you should refer to previous studies/literature
- Qualitative data analysis is usually unlikely to be biased
- Qualitative data analysis is highly reliable
- Qualitative data analysis includes bar charts and histograms
Participant observation is where “the researcher attempts to participate fully in the lives and activities of subjects and thus becomes a member of their group, organisation or community”.
- If you are unfamiliar with the topic of your research, what research method would be appropriate to choose?
- Focus Group
- Any research method would be fine
- The mean is….
- A summary of the data estimated by adding all the numbers, and dividing by the number of the data
- A summary of the data in terms of the most common value of the data
- A summary of the data that is always halfway between the maximum and minimum value of the data
- none of these answers
- The advantages of participant observation research include:
- respondents’ perspective
- initial hypothesis
- small scale one to one interviewing
- all of these answers
- Which ONE of the following has nothing to do with analyzing interviews?
- creating charts and diagrams
- identifying common themes
- checking the consent form
- classification into categories
In one sentence only, define exploratory research in your own words
In one sentence only, define descriptive research in your own words
In one sentence only, define analytical/ explanatory research in your own words
In one sentence only, define analytical descriptive in your own words
In the space below, define secondary source