Agency and Employment Law
- Due Mar 04, 6:00 PM (PST)
- Not Submitted
- POINTS 5
Purpose of Assignment
Employment costs are arguably a business’s biggest expense. Consider how employment law regulates concepts such as discrimination, injuries on the job, employee vs. independent contractor, wrongful discharge, and unionization, to name a few. As you research for this assignment, consider the decisions made in this area are much more than business decisions but, in fact, impact lives. How do we reconcile between hurting employees and impacting the bottom-line? This is much tougher than it appears.
Resources: Legal Environment of Business: Online Commerce, Business Ethics, and Global Issues: Ch. 18, 19, 20, and 21.
Scenario: As employment costs continue to escalate, it is incumbent upon organizations to continually monitor its internal operations to ensure best practices are being followed. To that end, your CEO has asked you to prepare a SWOT (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, Threats) analysis.
Prepare a SWOT analysis in one of the following formats:
- A 7- to 10-slide Microsoft® PowerPoint® presentation,
- A maximum 1,050-word written analysis in Microsoft® Word.
Examine the following:
- Consider the impact a principal and agent creates on the business and its employees.
- Compare how express, implied, and apparent authority created by the principal and agent impacts equal opportunities for employees.
- Identify the laws protecting workers against discriminatory practices.
- Evaluate how the legal protections present in the workplace differ for employee and independent contractors.
Cite a minimum of two references for the four content areas taken from a business or legal resource. At least one reference must be from the University Library.
Format your paper consistent with APA guidelines.