Real World Applications of Phonology
Select one of the topics below and write a paper that analyzes the practical uses of phonological and phonetic knowledge in real-world situations.
Select one of the following topics:
- New technologies (e.g., voice recognition software; natural language processing by computers)
- Criminal justice and intelligence
- Anthropology and cultural studies
- Pedagogy and learning
- Speech therapy
- Another field of your choosing (i.e., international business, translation, etc.) with the advanced approval by your instructor.
In your paper, give an overview of how the linguistic knowledge of phonological concepts and phonetics are applied in your research topic, and address the following:
- Discuss how phonology and phonetics are important to the selected topic and how they can be applied.
- Relate specific concepts discussed in the course to the selected topic.
- Demonstrate a practical, working knowledge of the phonetic principles you discuss.
- Discuss why applications of linguistic knowledge are important, what they accomplish, and how they benefit society.
- Predict possible future applications of concepts discussed in the course.
The Final Project
- Must be eight to ten double-spaced pages in length (not including title and references pages) and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Must include a separate title page with the following:
- Title of Final Paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- Must use at least five scholarly sources, including a minimum of two from the Ashford University Library, in addition to the course text.
- The Scholarly, Peer Reviewed, and Other Credible Sources table offers additional guidance on appropriate source types. If you have questions about whether a specific source is appropriate for this assignment, please contact your instructor. Your instructor has the final say about the appropriateness of a specific source for a particular assignment.
- Must document all sources in APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Must include a separate references page that is formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.