for Health Information Systems
Discussion Question 1
Health care information management, authentication, and distribution are
determined by both state and federal laws, licensing, certification,
and in most cases, accreditation. Health information system management
follows these set standards to ensure that patient protected health
information (PHI) is utilized for the intended purposes: quality patient
care and patient safety. In a minimum of 300 words, address the
following points in your initial post:
- Define the following: accreditation, licensing, certification.
- What are the functions of the Joint Commission?
- Define the categories of accreditation.
- What is National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA)? How does the NCQA impact health information systems?
- How are legal health records (LHR) determined?
Organizations that Endorse Patient Safety
Discussion Question 2
There are organizations that endorse,
facilitate, and mandate patients’ safety laws with PHI and disbursement
of health information systems data and/or information. The standards of
patient’s safety within these organizations are clearly outlined and
widely adopted by all legitimate health care organizations. HIPAA is
used to regulate these laws. In a minimum of 300 words, address the
following in your initial post:
- List and define the five major components of HIPAA’s privacy rule.
- List three HIPAA-covered entities.
- What is the role of the HITECH Act?
- How do the HITECH Act and HIPAA work together to ensure patient security?
- What are the consequences of non-compliance for organizations that fail to implement the HIPAA and HITECH Acts?