The Supreme Court
Purpose: To build a broader understanding of the Supreme Court by researching one of the 9 Supreme Court Justices and attempting to understand their individual frame for interpreting the law.
Instructions: Prepare a short essay on one of the following Supreme Court Justices. Your task is to include biographical information and any relevant case law decisions you believe contributed to the individual justice. This assignment will require research beyond your textbook. I have included three websites (See below) to assist you in your research.
- John G. Roberts, Jr., Chief Justice of the United States
- Anthony M. Kennedy, Associate Justice-Retired
- Clarence Thomas, Associate Justice
- Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Associate Justice
- Stephen G. Breyer, Associate Justice
- Samuel Anthony Alito, Jr., Associate Justice
- Sonia Sotomayor, Associate Justice
- Elena Kagan, Associate Justice
- Neil M. Gorsuch, Associate Justice
Helpful Website in completing this short essay:
- http://www.supremecourt.gov/about/biographies.aspx (Links to an external site.)
- https://www.oyez.org/justices (Links to an external site.)
- http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/22/opinions/supreme-court-posner-broyde/ (Links to an external site.)
- Upload your assignment as a PDF
- Expected Length: 2-3 pages, 12 – Times New Roman Format, Double-Spaced
- Use grammatically correct business writing that is “audience centered, purposeful, persuasive, and economical” (M.E. Guffy & D. Loewy, 2010, p. 50).
- (If relevant) Be sure to cite your sources using APA. Please use the American Psychological Association (APA) format to cite your article. Instruction for using APA can be found on line at https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/560/01/.
- Do not plagiarize.