For this writing assignment, you have two choices. Please select one of the following options for your essay:
- Describe a person, place, or object that has special meaning in your life.
- Describe a particular moment or occurrence in your life that had special meaning to you.
- Write a two page draft of your personal essay.
- The draft should be double-spaced.
- Either (a) upload the draft of your personal essay (.doc format) as a new thread, making sure the document includes your name and title of paper, or (b) create a new thread in which you copy and paste your essay into the body of your post (again, be sure to include a working title).
Use the techniques described in sections 6.3 and 6.4 of Essentials of College Writing and expand upon the prewriting done in the discussion forum for the past three weeks to provide specific details about the person, place, object, or event so that readers can visualize the subject and/or feel present in the story. Your description should be specific and appeal to the five senses. Please be sure to read and review the “Example Personal Essay – Draft” document before beginning your draft for more guidance on writing a descriptive essay.
This rough draft needs to be at least 550 words, and it should have a thesis statement that clearly states what you are going to be writing about. View the sample Personal Essay – Draft to guide you as you complete this assignment.