Discussion 2: Shared Practice—Role of Business Information Systems
Note: This Discussion has slightly different due dates than what is typical for this program. Be mindful of this as you post and respond in the Discussion. Your post is due on Day 7 and your Response is due on Day 3 of Week 2.
As a manager, it is critical for you to understand the types of business information systems available to support business operations, management, and strategy. As of 2013, these include, but are certainly not limited to the following:
- Supply Chain Management (SCM)
- Accounting Information System
- Customer Relationship Management (CRM)
- Decision Support Systems (DSS)
- Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP)
- Human Resource Management
These types of systems support critical business functions and operations that every organization must manage. The effective manager understands the purpose of these types of systems and how they can be best used to manage the organization’s data and information.
In this Discussion, you will share your knowledge and findings related to business information systems and the role they play in your organization. You will also consider your colleagues’ experiences to explore additional ways business information systems might be applied in your colleagues’ organizations, or an organization with which you are familiar.
By Day 7
- Describe two or three of the more important technologies or business information systems used in your organization, or in one with which you are familiar.
- Discuss two examples of how these business information systems are affecting the organization you selected. Be sure to discuss how individual behaviors and organizational or individual processes are changing and what you can learn from the issues encountered.
- Summarize what you have learned about the importance of business information systems and why managers need to understand how systems can be used to the organization’s advantage.
You should find and use at least one additional current article from a credible resource, either from the Walden Library or the Internet. Please be specific, and remember to use citations and references as necessary.
General Guidance: Your initial Discussion post, due by Day 7, will typically be 3–4 paragraphs in length as a general expectation/estimate.