(Note change of instructions for Assignment 1:
You only have to write one example (not 2) for each of the 3 category questions. That means one example of either a civil liberties or civil rights event, and one example of a media event, and one example of a difference between the parties.)
Here’s an APA style template to use for your paper. POL110_Assign_1_template_APA(6).docx
-Click VIEW below to see the Grading Rubric score chart.
Assignment 1: Politics – Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow
Due Week 6 and worth 200 points
Write a three to four (3-4) page paper that answers the following three (3) items using headers to separate each item:
- Discuss either two (2) civil liberties or two (2) civil rights
events. One event must be from within the last two years, and the other
may be from the past. Select events that have influenced a sense of
social responsibility in the American government today. Provide examples
to support your answer. In your response, consider how the events
influenced the way state, local, or national political leaders or
agencies responded in a socially responsible or ethical manner toward
the community. Please cite your sources in APA style.
- Discuss two (2) media events (past or present) that have positively
and/or negatively influenced the public’s opinion of a government
agency. One event must be within the last two years, and the other may
be from the past. Provide examples to support your answer. Consider how a
news story or media coverage of an event positively or negatively
changed the public’s opinion (or perception) regarding how responsible a
government agency should be towards meeting the needs of its customers
(i.e., the American people). Please cite your sources in APA style.
- Discuss two (2) differences between the Republican and Democratic
parties that may have an ethical impact (positively or negatively) on
the American people. Provide examples from the past 2 years to support
your answer. Consider the different ideologies, values, morals, and/or
goals held by the Republican and Democratic parties, and their different
views on the ethically or morally right way to govern and make the best
policies for the people they serve. Determine if your example presents
any type of ethical concerns for or against the public best interest of
the American people. Please cite your sources in APA style.
In your research, you cannot use Wikipedia, online dictionaries,
Sparknotes, Cliffnotes, or any other website that does not qualify as an
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with
one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA
or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional
- Include an APA cover page containing the title of the assignment,
the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the
date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the
required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are to:
- Identify informed opinions on issues and questions involving the
U.S. government, national political processes, policy making, and the
notion of democracy.
- Employ terminology used to study political science and American government.
- Distinguish between civil rights and civil liberties in the context of Supreme Court protection of freedom of expression.
- Develop reasoned written and spoken presentations on issues and
questions involving the U.S. government and national political processes
using information in the course.
- Explain how the federal system of government works.
- Explore different perspectives on issues and questions about the U.S. government and national political processes.
- Describe the importance of an informed, proactive citizenship for
the effective operation of the national government and political
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in the field of U.S. government and politics.
- Write clearly and concisely about U.S. government and politics using proper writing mechanics.