For your initial post, complete the reading assignment (see syllabus) and answer the following questions:
1. After watching the video below on how Lululemon uses RFID (A RFID Journal Video Lululemon) located at the bottom of this forum explain how RFID has affected retailing operations in Lululemon. What are some of the key benefits of this technology? What does the RFID chip tell you and how does it impact the guest experience?
2. What type of merchandise is most likely to be crossdocked at retailers’ distribution centers? Why is this the case?
3. Which of the following types of retailers do you think would benefit most from instituting CRM: (a) supermarkets, (b) banks, (c) automobile dealers, or (d) consumer electronic retailers? Why?
4. What are the different approaches retailers can use to identify customers by their transactions? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each approach?
5. Assume you are the grocery buyer for canned fruits and vegetables at a five-store supermarket chain. Del Monte has told you and your boss that it would be responsible for making all inventory decisions for those merchandise categories. It would determine how much to order and when shipments should be made. It promises a 10 percent increase in gross margin dollars in the coming year. Would you take Del Monte up on its offer? Justify your answer.
6. Variety, assortment, and product availability are the cornerstones of the merchandise planning process. Provide examples of retailers that have done an outstanding job of positioning their stores based on one or more of these issues.
Instructions: Your initial post should be at least 250 words. Please respond to at least 2 other students. Responses should be a minimum of 100 words and include direct questions.