The Role of Juvenile Courts
The separation of the juvenile court from the adult court for hearing juvenile delinquency cases is a major social justice statement. The textbook lays out five critical thinking questions at the end of Chapter 6. Select one for your initial post to the discussion:
- Should the philosophy of the juvenile court system be rehabilitative or punitive? Defend your position.
- Has Child Protective Services “run its course” like some critics suggest? Or should it be revamped? How would you revamp such a service?
- Teen courts have become a popular option for diverting youth. Is there a downside in involving the youth’s peers in the process? Support your case.
- Although most states have retained their transfer laws, the rate of transfers to adult court has remained stable. Why do you think this is the case?
- Do you agree with the U.S. Supreme Court in regards to the Roper v. Simmons and Miller v. Alabama cases? Why are or why not?
Your initial post should be at least 250 words in length. Support your claims with examples from the required material(s) and/or other scholarly resources, and properly cite any references