The purpose of this assignment is to watch the film version of the play The Importance of Being Earnest so that you will be able to compare and contrast the film and play in an essay at the end of this unit.
- View the film version of the play:
- Take notes on how the film follows, but also diverts from, the original play in terms of its directorial decisions vs. Wilde’s original stage directions.
- What changes do you notice?
- Do you find that they fit the spirit of the original play? In what instances are changes, in your opinion, unnecessary or even deleterious?
- Remember, all authorial AND directorial decisions – including those dealt with in stage directions, both written and filmed – are purposely made; the question you have to ask is to what effect it is done and if that change helps further Wilde’s thematics or hinders them. Obviously this does not have to be either/or, as you may note instances that have multiple impacts.
- Organize and rephrase your observations in the form of a list of the five instances of differences in the written play and the film that you find most important, along with a couple lines of commentary for each in which you include your opinion.
- Post your paragraph