WEEK EIGHT: Organizational Integrity
Chapter 11: Organizational Integrity.
Assignment – Be prepared to answer these questions:
- Do ethical problems in business come down to flaws in personal character alone?
- True or False: Employees want to do the right thing and are looking for guidance. Explain.
- Codes of Ethics – 90% of the Fortune 500 companies have them. Are they just P.R. documents?
- How can we be sure that top managers care enough about ethics to go to all the trouble of building ethical practices into the organization?
- What do all the dates have in common?
- Where does character play a role in corporate culture: in hiring, in public actions, in private activities, in publicity, in stakeholder relations?
- What is the minimum expectation for how a leader should act in a given situation? Is that enough?
- Choose one of the ethical practice myths mentioned by Trevino and Brown and tell why there’s more to ethical behavior than processes and checklists. Can formal ethics and compliance programs have a positive impact on organizations?
- Why do companies continue to cling to the “bad apple theory” when explaining ethical violations?
- Do you agree with Darley that most of us are intermittent moral actors? What can be done about this?
- Do you agree with Sherron Watkins, that the next generation of leaders will want the same wealth and prominence as our current group of corporate leaders? How can we change this? APA format