Choose ONE (1) of the categories listed below to focus on for this assignment.
- Write a paper in which you compare and contrast two major Western religions (Judaism, Christianity, Islam). Begin your project with a clear, focused thesis statement. Address the origins, region, main leaders, the particular teachings/philosophies, rituals, scriptures, holy days/holidays, and impact of the religions. Use the categories and terms from chapter 1 in your descriptions of the religions.
- In a paper, Write a dialogue between two of the following: Moses, Jesus, Muhammad. Begin your project with a clear, focused thesis statement. Address these points: origin/birth; what led to their ethical system; what is their ethical system; what was the response to this system. Compare and contrast their teachings/philosophies. Use the terms and concepts from Chapter 1 to inform your research and presentation.
- Write a paper in which you present a visual report on two (2) Western religions sites nearby [at least one has to be either Judaism or Islam]. An alternative for those in rural places would be to do an Internet search of two religious locations. Begin your project with a clear, focused thesis statement. Look at architecture, interior space, etc. Include visuals to illustrate your points. How do these reflect the definitions and terms of Chapter 1 and what we have learned about these religions?
- Conduct an extensive interview with a person who practices Western religions, the Sikh faith, or New Religious Movements and write a paper presenting the results of this interview. Begin your project with a clear, focused thesis statement. Use these questions in your interview: How did you become associated with this religion? What is it about this religion that intrigues you? Is it difficult to practice your faith? What readings/scriptures do you use? What are some rituals you perform? What holy days/holidays do you keep? What would you like your neighbors/colleagues to know about your faith? Use the definitions and categories of religion from Chapter 1
to guide the interview.
- Write a paper that explores religion in the news. Find an extensive news story on one Western religion or one of the New Religious Movements. Begin your project with a clear, focused thesis statement. Using 5 (five) terms and concepts from Chapter 1 and pertinent chapters from Fisher, interpret that story for people at a family gathering by explaining how it relates to the basic tenets of that faith tradition.
Write a two to three (2-3) page paper in which you:
- Use at least three (3) quality resources as references for the assignment and document your sources using SWS Style for in-text citations and references. Note: Wikipedia and similar websites do not qualify as quality resources.
- Write clearly and coherently using correct grammar, punctuation, spelling, and mechanics.
Your assignment must meet these requirements:
- This course requires use of new Strayer Writing Standards (SWS). The format is different from other Strayer University courses. Please take a moment to review the SWS documentation for details.
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow SWS or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the studentâ€™s name, the professorâ€™s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.