Best Practices and Proposed Intervention Related to Substance Abuse
As you recall from the Week Two assignment, the scholarly literature has explored various elements of substance abuse through theoretical frameworks and research studies. You will now extend your analysis to include examples of best practices that serve as the benchmark used by health and human service organizations in the provision of care. Best practices consist of techniques, applications, or approaches that have been consistently demonstrated through the research to be the most effective for addressing a given problem or need area.
In this third written assignment for the course, you will apply your knowledge of U.S. health and human services delivery of care by examining scholarly sources that provide information on best practices that examine some aspect of substance abuse. Thus, you will be asked to do the following:
- Describe two to three examples of interventions, approaches, or techniques that have been demonstrated to be effective in addressing substance abuse. A good place to begin your search is the HHS A to Z Index. While specific examples of best practices will vary based upon the topic, areas to consider can include, but are not limited to:
- Case management approaches
- Preventive services
- Clinical intervention/therapies
- Educational initiatives
- Analyze elements pertinent to the best practices that you have identified. These include:
- An overview of each practice (i.e., what they are, specific elements, how and where they are used, etc.).
- Examination of evidence in the form of research studies that support the effectiveness of the practices (i.e., description of study, methods, and findings).
- Evaluation of their strengths and areas for improvement.
- Lastly, provide a brief (no more than one page) proposal for a model intervention (i.e., program, service, or initiative) that you would like to develop that incorporates one of your selected best practice methods. This intervention must be unique and original. Do not propose an intervention that is currently being used to address substance abuse. Elements for discussion include:
- A brief description of proposed intervention.
- Rationale for its application to your issue.
- Where/how the best practice method will be used.
*The Best Practice and Proposed Intervention Related to Substance Abuse Paper
- Must be three to five double-spaced pages in length (not including title and references pages) and formatted according to APA style
- Must include a separate title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- Must use at least five scholarly sources.
- The Scholarly, Peer Reviewed, and Other Credible Sources table offers additional guidance on appropriate source types
- Must document all sources in APA style.
- Must include a separate references page that is formatted according to APA style.