GRADING RUBRIC MUST BE FOLLOWED
Develop an 8–12 slide PowerPoint presentation accompanied by an audio recording of the presentation that is a maximum 15 minutes. The presentation will focus on an explanation of Meaningful Use Guidelines and how the current HIM system could be optimized to ensure compliance and improved outcomes.
Questions to Consider:
- Why are EHR systems important and how do they address the changing health care marketplace?
- What are the current relevant Meaningful Use Guidelines?
- What are the current incentive programs related to these guidelines?
- How are privacy and security of patient records maintained in an EHR system?
- How can EHR systems impact the experience and quality of patient care?
- What are the future trends for EHR systems and HIM best practices?
In this scenario, you will assume the role of Quality Assurance Manager at Vila Health’s Independence Medical Center. You have been asked to review the current electronic health record (EHR) system after some concerns were raised about the system not being fully compliant with new regulations and Meaningful Use Guidelines. After your review, you will present your findings and recommendations to the leadership team.
Review the Vila Health: Analysis of an EHR System media simulation and the information provided in the Resources section to learn more about the Vila Health organization.
Before reviewing the EHR system, you will want to familiarize yourself with Meaningful Use Guidelines. Take a moment to review these sources and conduct an additional research as needed on the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) incentive program from EHR: Meaningful Use provided in the Resources section.
Next, review the Vila Health EHR system. While analyzing the EHR, you will want to think about not only the flow of data, how it moves through the system, and compliance with Meaningful Use Guidelines, but also about the patient experience and implications on quality of care. Consider privacy and security of patient records as well.
To prepare for this assessment, use the Capella University Library and the resources provided in this assessment to research the following topics:
- Digitization of the nation’s medical records and the privacy challenges.
- EHR incentive program requirements.
- Best Practices for compliance with Meaningful Use Guidelines.
- EHR and HIM best practices for quality, privacy, and regulatory compliance.
- Types of information technologies that are used to improve the quality of patient care.
To complete this assessment, you will prepare an 8–12 slide PowerPoint presentation of best practices and emerging models in HIM and EHRs. Your presentation will be assessed using the following criteria:
- Explain Meaningful Use Guidelines and what they mean to an organization’s current state of compliance.
- Explain an organization’s current electronic health record system and its data process to meet regulatory guidelines.
- Analyze how an electronic health record system could improve the quality of care, simplify existing processes, and improve patient outcomes.
- Explain best practices for an organization to maintain meaningful use compliance as it relates to current incentive programs and policies.
- Recommend evidence-based approaches for implementing new practices for the end user functions, training, and ongoing compliance.
- Communicate analysis and recommendations of an electronic health records system in a manner that is clear and concise.
- Integrate relevant sources to support assertions, correctly formatting citations and references using current APA style.
Below is one potential outline for the presentation that could help you to address the assessments grading criteria.
- Present what Meaningful Use Guidelines are and what they mean to the organization.
- Present Independence Medical Center’s current state of compliance.
- Current HIS:
- State the current EHR being used in this organization.
- Present your findings on the evaluation of the EHR.
- Explain how the EHR could improve the quality of care, simplify existing processes, and improve patient outcomes.
- Discuss how the data are currently captured, tracked, analyzed, and shared and whether each area meets regulatory policy and incentive guidelines.
- Upgrades and Improvements:
- Present your findings from your research on maintaining Meaningful Use Guidelines.
- Present best practices for long-term compliance to current incentive programs and policy.
- Make additional recommendations on the EHR system including end user functions, training, and ongoing compliance to the department heads.
- Provide evidence-based recommendations for implementing new practices and emerging models in the identified departments.
Electronic Health Records
These resources aid in understanding the processes and application of electronic health records.
- Boonstra, A., Versluis, A., & Vos, J. F. J. (2014). Implementing electronic health records in hospitals: A systematic literature review. BMC Health Services Research, 14, 370–394.
- Pratt, M. K. (2017). 6 tips to help practices adapt to a new EHR. Contemporary OB/GYN, 62(2), 42.
- Richter, L. L. (2017). Sharing an EHR application across multiple organizations. Journal of AHIMA, 88(10), 52–53.
Legal and Policy
This article addresses the legal issues involved in the use of health information systems and the policy implications of ownership of data.
- Cartwright-Smith, L., Gray, E., & Thorpe, J. H. (2017). Health information ownership: Legal theories and policy implications. Vanderbilt Journal of Entertainment and Technology Law, 19(2), 207.
These resources address the impact of meaningful use in the stages of implementation and the adoption and practice of EHRs.
- Adler-Milstein, J., Everson, J., & Lee, S.-Y. D. (2014). Sequencing of EHR adoption among US hospitals and the impact of meaningful use. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association, 21(6), 984–991.
- HealthIT.gov. (n.d.). Meaningful use and MACRA. Retrieved from https://www.healthit.gov/topic/meaningful-use-and-…
- Heisey-Grove, D., & King, J. A. (2017). Physician and practice-level drivers and disparities around meaningful use progress. Health Services Research, 52(1), 244–267.
- Microsoft. Basic tasks for creating a PowerPoint presentation. Retrieved from https://support.office.com/en-gb/article/Basic-tas…
- Microsoft. Basic tasks in PowerPoint 2010. Retrieved from https://support.office.com/en-gb/article/Basic-tas…