There are two principles that health care providers rely on when set the rates for their services. The first principle is cost, and the second is based on third-party reimbursements, especially from Medicare.
As the chief operations officer of your hospital, you have been asked by the board to make a presentation on how the hospital sets the price for the services that it provides.
Create a PowerPoint presentation of 6â€“8 slides with speaker notes that analyzes the different services provided by the hospital and the rationale for charging patients for them. In your presentation, consider the following:
- Who are the stakeholders in this scenario, and what are their roles?
- Describe the practice of price discrimination and its objectives.
- What role does the cost of the doctorâ€™s education and malpractice insurance play in costing health care services?
- What is the role of third-party payers such as Medicare and Medicaid in pricing health care services?
- How does the uninsured population impact pricing?
- How does the use of emergency services for nonemergency situations impact pricing?
- Document recommendations for improvement based on your economic analysis.
Ensure that you integrate economic terms, frameworks, and models throughout the review.
As a guideline, do not have more than 16 words on each slide. Your speaker notes should explain the slide in detail. Be sure to follow APA style page formatting, and provide at least 4 peer-reviewed references from health care journals published in the past 5 years.